Search This Site

Monday, September 9, 2013

A How to: remove "Sponsorship" Pop-up

     Resembling the characteristics of many other computer viruses, the Sponsorship virus shows ads that likely lead to malicious websites.  It integrates into parts of your OS with the download of another program.  I had one, and I think I just got rid of it.
     First symptoms were constant reminders to update my Flash Player, followed by annoying pop-ups trying to get me to update, and later the pop-ups began to appear as FAV viruses usually do(Fake Anti-Virus), saying my computer was at risk.  I began scouring the net at that point, searching for the registry fix for this pesky Trojan.  Malewarebytes did catch something, but even though the pop ups and ads slowed, they still appeared randomly when my computer would go into sleep mode.  I found about 2 dozen websites offering tips to delete this virus, but i had a hard time finding one that had registry entries to delete and folders to delete that I actually had on my computer. 
   I run Windows XP,SP3.
   My primary browser is Firefox.
      This is the path to the fix that worked.-
Start, my computer, C:, Documents and Settings, My user name, Application Data.  
In the Application Data folder, I found a folder called dsite, and deleted it. 

        You may have to select folders from the menu bar and go to view, and select "show hidden files and folders, and uncheck the "hide file extensions" box

 Also, check and make sure in your scheduled tasks(in the Control Panel) that the virus didn't schedule itself or anything else to automatically run.

     The processes are cmd, csrss, and an extra IE window that pop up when the virus is trying to get you.  This can vary per computer.  The registry entries it leaves also vary, so run Malewarebytes a couple times after you do this to make sure you got it.

    The author of this is not guaranteeing this will work, but it did for me, so I choose to share, because good advice is priceless.